How to Open an Electric Car Charging Station in India
The EVs offer the best solutions to reduce vehicular emissions and make the environment pollution-free. As per the latest growth charts of vehicles, sales of EVs are continuously increasing therefore, the need for electric car charging stations in India is consistently growing. The idea of setting up an EV charging station might prove highly beneficial on multiple terms.
You will not face any type of problem in establishing one. All required charging equipment is easily available in the market. Besides, you get full support from local authorities and the DISCOMs. The government also allows starting an electric vehicle charging station without a license.
Types of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
The establishment of EV charging stations will prove a big step to push e-mobility. There are three types of EV charging stations that we can consider to start:
1. DC charging station
These commercial charging stations only host DC chargers to ensure fast charging for commercial vehicles like cars, trucks, and buses. This type of charging station requires a big investment to install as you need multiple DC chargers, a continuous power supply in huge quantities, etc.
2. AC charging station
This option proves best suitable for charging two or three-wheelers and is relatively less expensive than installing a charging station for fast charging. You do not need anything extra to install one except a compatible EV AC charger and the required power supply. The only issue you face with an AC charging station is slow charging.
3. AC & DC charging station
This type of charging station offers slow and fast charging facilities for all types of EV 2/3/4 wheelers through AC and DC chargers of different capacities. On the basis of available time and convenience, EV owners can easily opt for either slow charging through an AC charger or fast charging through a DC charger.
The profiles of all these charging stations are very different from each other. Therefore, you essentially need to make a smart decision to avail maximum benefits and escape different types of problematic situations specifically upon monetary terms.
Step by Step Process to Set up an EV charging station in India
- Select an easily accessible space: The dedicated space is very important to set up an EV charging station in India. The land must have enough space to simultaneously accommodate up to 4 or more cars. Separate entry/exit points are also required for hassle-free movement. The host also needs to provide a waiting lounge for 10-16 people so that passengers can relax during EV charging.
- Prepare a feasibility report: The host also needs to prepare a feasibility report before starting the process to set up an EV charging station. The detailed report helps to easily operate the charging activities and keep different kinds of inconveniences away.
- Follow the guidelines of local authorities: The government provides certain types of relaxations and subsidies for hosts of charging stations to easily set up one. Carefully follow all guidelines to escape a number of problems. Check all points before establishing. The guidelines largely vary in each state.
- Arrange the required power supply: The easy availability of the required power supply is essential to successfully run an EV charging station. Talk to the local electricity supply point or arrange alternate energy solutions to provide a smooth charging experience to EV owners.
- Install certified charging equipment: The host of an EV charging station essentially needs to install certified charging equipment with all popular gun types so that EV owners can easily experience safe charging for their electric 2/3/4 wheelers.
- Construct up-to-the-mark infrastructure & facilities: The charging stations are supposed to keep EV owners away from all kinds of hassles and inconveniences. Therefore, it is very important for hosts to develop and maintain up-to-the-mark infrastructure & facilities for customers. A state-of-the-art cafeteria is the utmost need at the charging station. This facility will help customers to enjoy tea & snacks en route. Hosts can also offer more services and conveniences to serve customers in a more promising way.
Estimated Setup Cost of Electric Car Charging Station in India
The commercial charging station essentially requires a variety of AC and DC chargers to charge all types of electric vehicles across all segments of personal and commercial vehicles. The range of fast DC chargers starts from a 15 kW charger that costs nearly 3-4 lakhs and goes up to 240 kW (price & availability depend on the basis of order). Other DC chargers are available in charging capacities of 30 kW, 60 kW, and 120 kW. Similarly, the range of AC chargers for EVs starts from a 3.3 kW charger. The purchase price for this charger is around 20-22 thousand. Other options in this list are 7 kW, 10 kW, 11 kW, 14 kW, and 22 kW.
Accordingly, the electric car charging station setup cost in India depends on the number of chargers that you want to install at your charging facility. The expenditures related to the price/rent of land, power tariffs according to a specific region, waiting lounge, and other conveniences also add up to the investment.
Let us calculate the total amount to set up a DC commercial charging station:
- DC Charger: Rs.10 lakhs (approx.)
- Power connection: Contact the nearest electricity supply point for the updated tariff
- Construction: Rs.1,00,000 (approx)
- Software: Rs.45,000/- to Rs.50,000/-
- Manpower: Rs.3,00,000/- to Rs.4,50,000/- annually
- Land cost: Depends on the type of land/area/location
The aforementioned list comprises estimated costs and it hugely depends upon a number of highly important factors. The host of a commercial charging station essentially needs to look after each aspect of the investment to make a beneficial decision and escape further issues.
Government Guidelines & Policies for Installing EV Charging Stations in India
The government of India is working on a detailed policy to establish a state-of-the-art charging infrastructure to serve EV owners and annihilate the issues related to range anxieties. This policy largely focuses on establishing an EV charging facility every 3 km in the cities and 25 km on the highways. Thus, the authorities allow hosts to start the charging station without a license.
According to the report, no specific licenses are required to setting up an electric vehicle charging station. Anyone can freely set up an EV charging station in India. The Ministry of Power and Central Electricity Authority set some performance standards for EV charging stations.
Besides, people do not need to complete hefty documentation. The government actually provides subsidies to expedite the procedure of establishing more and more charging stations. However, certain guidelines are there to follow. Meticulously check all guidelines with local authorities and do the needful to escape unexpected issues.
Top Electric Vehicle Charging Station Dealership Provider in India
It is easy to find a certified electric vehicle charging station dealership in India that consistently remains ready to provide all necessary services and equipment to easily set up an EV charging station.
The list of Top Electric Vehicle Charging Station Dealership Providers in India follows:
- Tata Power – Mumbai
- Exicom Power System – Gurgaon
- Servotech Power Systems – Delhi
- Dyna Hi-tech Power Systems – Mumbai
- Charge My Gaddi – Delhi
- EVQ Point – Bengaluru
- Charge + Zone – Vadodara
The information provided in the above-given lines will prove very useful to those who are planning to establish a charging station. Carefully read this information to become a successful EV charging station host. It is however important to carefully evaluate each point before investing the money. The power tariffs, cost of EV chargers, price of space, and other important equipment and facilities create a huge difference in cost. The carefully made decision will definitely save against several issues and earn more benefits.